a) a woman of ill repute; or
b) a pastry dish, similar to a pie, but different in that the top is open and not covered with pastry
Hands up – who feels like a little tart?? No, luckily for sensitive readers there will be no risque pictures of an improperly attired Cooksister appearing on these pages – this time it's option b) all the way! Not only am I basically a lazy baker who loses interest before putting the top crust on a pie – I also love the double meaning that makes me snigger every time I make a tart. Immature, but it works for me.
This month I am honoured to be the host of the Monthly Mingle, the event started by my darling sister-from-another-mother Meeta. She gave me free reign to choose the theme and seeing as summer is looming with its promise of lazy days sunbathing in the park, I have gone for topless tarts - so we can get 'em out and show 'em off. So to speak.
In case you are wondering what does or doesn't constitute a tart, let me make it clear that a tart has NO TOP CRUST. In other words, the filling is clearly visible because there is nothing covering its modesty - not a pastry lid, not a crumble, not a layer of mashed potato. Nada. Zip. Diddly. Nothing. We are talking quiches, flans and tartes tatin. Savoury, sweet, hot cold – I don't mind. Just topless.
This is a savoury tart.
This is a sweet tart.
This is a pie and not eligible.
See? Tarts are easy! ;o)
How to Mingle:
- Create a dish that fits the Topless tarts theme as described above.
- Post about it on your blog from now till 30 April midnight on 1 May 2011 (entries must be in English, please).
- Your creation should be prepared for the current Monthly Mingle theme and shared with a maximum of 2 other blog events. Let’s try and keep the creations as fresh as the ingredients you use.
- You must provide a link to this post and the official Monthly Mingle page.
Once you’ve posted your dish, please email me at email@example.com with Monthly Mingle in the subject line and including:
- Your name
- Your blog name
- A link to the post where the dish appears
- The name of your dish
- A picture no wider than 300 pixels