Let’s get ova-enthusiastic – it’s EoMEoTE#6!

by Jeanne on April 28, 2005

in Events - EoMEoTE

The egg quivers with

Excitement, the bread trembles:

E-o-ME-o-Te.

The above is the result of a challenge by Anthony of Spiceblog – in light of my marathon posts.  He suggested that as an antidote, I do a post in haiku format – et voila!

However, for those of you who find this a little toooooo cryptically Zen-like, the full story is as follows:  the End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza has rolled around again!  This most inclusive, least threatening, most post-modern, least culture/language/cooking ability-biased all food blog events grew out of an in-joke between Anthony of Spiceblog and myself, and in the first month we were the only participants.  We weren’t rich, but we were happy.

From these humble beginnings has grown a loyal band of fellow eggy enthusiasts and at EoMEoTE#5 (the first to be hosted by a non-founder!) we had TWENTY contributions!  Eggcelent!!! And this month Anthony has even made EoMEoTE its ver own Flickr tag!  So how do you get to play along and become part of the world-wide phenomenon that is EoMEoTE?  Well, it couldn’t be easier.  Here are the rules:

1. Make a dish using eggs

2. The dish must also use bread (any type of carbohydrate- product to which dry heat has been applied!) under, on, alongside or near the eggs.

Then write about it and include a photo if you can, post the story to your blog and leave me a comment with the link (or e-mail it to me if you don’t have a blog) and sometime around the weekend I will do a wrap-up of all the entries.  No pressure, no competition.  Just loads of really really bad egg puns ;-)

For the true die-hard fans, here is a potted history of the End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza:

EoMEoTE#1

EoMEoTE#2

EoMEoTE#3

EoMEoTE#4

EoMEoTE#5

Owen April 28, 2005 at 7:22 pm

Jeanne -
a toast….
Not h-eggs-ameter
But I’ll haiku-k a fried egg.
If not, yolk’s on me
I think that’s cryptic enough!

Stephanie April 28, 2005 at 7:25 pm

Did you get my entry, sent a few days ago?

anthony April 29, 2005 at 12:06 am

Banzai! x 3
As the red leaves fall
There is still warmth to be found
In the glow of yolks

Jeanne April 29, 2005 at 12:29 am

Owen – wow! Bad egg puns AND in haiku format!! Surely some sort of record! I take my hat off to that – you are truly master of the oviverse.
Stephanie – yes thanks! Punctual, as always… Apologies for not havign acknowledged receipt sooner!!
Anthony:
The egg cracks, the bread
Toasts, the pan sizzles gently.
Inspiration strikes.

anthony April 29, 2005 at 2:58 am
Jennifer April 29, 2005 at 1:28 pm

I just wanted to throw my entry into the ring.
Thanks!
Jennifer

Alicat April 29, 2005 at 10:40 pm

Thanks for the warm wishes Jeanne!!! :D
Psh, I haven’t even started my journal entries yet…alas I have been too busy…and I have so much to live up to! ;)

scribblers-bits April 30, 2005 at 1:40 am

End of Month Egg on

End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza

anthony April 30, 2005 at 8:51 am

Oh yeah of you’re in flickr you can also post yout piccies here

Sam April 30, 2005 at 2:57 pm

you may wonder why is my post ready so early on a saturday morning when I should be tucked up in the soft whites of my bed asleep. I have to scramble and get to work. On a Saturday no less. It was a heavy night and my brain is fried. Working on the weekend is no yolk! But luckily I had an EOMEOTE I prepared earlier.

sarah May 1, 2005 at 1:28 am

oh dear, i have no contributions to all the punny poetry *hm*
but here’s my post for eotmeote numero seis:

AugustusGloop May 1, 2005 at 7:57 am

Like eggs on toast wasn’t poetic enough, now we have to match it with haiku? =)
Here’s my post:

Natalie May 1, 2005 at 12:32 pm
DogfightAtBankstown May 1, 2005 at 2:23 pm

EoMEoTE

It’s Easter Sunday for the Eastern Orthodox. And I got invited to share Easter lunch with

saint May 1, 2005 at 2:25 pm

Ok this is actually my second time (blame Anthony) and I’m cheating like I did the first time – this time not even a recipe. LOL!

Niki May 1, 2005 at 4:09 pm
cwc May 1, 2005 at 7:21 pm

sorry, i’m a little late…but all in the spirit of this event, non?
eat well.

Sylvie May 1, 2005 at 7:34 pm

Sorry I missed the April EoMEoTe. I’ll have to bookmark this event for May.

Spittoon.biz May 1, 2005 at 7:35 pm

End of Month Egg On Toast Extravaganza – it’s a dish of two halves.

The IngredientsPerhaps I am not taking this blog-happening seriously enough but following the late night escapades (as detailed on the ‘other’ blog) I thought a ‘proper’ entry for EoMEoTE was necessary. After-all I don’t want to ruffle feathe…

anthony May 2, 2005 at 8:57 am
saint May 2, 2005 at 12:08 pm

LOL, well I burnt the last pope last month Anthony…
(oh, saltenas are empanadas which means covered in bread…)

anthony May 2, 2005 at 2:43 pm

Ha yes! “one cup of popes” Magnificent.
Fresh ones I hope.

Chubby Hubby May 3, 2005 at 3:10 am

This is a great meme. I’d like to submit a dish I made this past weekend (yah, I know I’m a tad late). Am also not entirely sure if you’ll allow it. After all, I do introduce something pretty substantial between the egg and the toast. :-)

Seattle Bon Vivant May 3, 2005 at 5:32 pm

EoMEoTE #6 from Cannon Beach

Nope, I did not forget! Even while on vacation I keep my assignments. :-) And although I did not cook it myself our

Viv May 3, 2005 at 5:41 pm

Hi Jeanne! I just returned from a mini-holiday in Cannon Beach, Oregon but my entry was sent to my blog via moblog Sunday am. This was Sunday morning’s breakfast. My original entry was the quiche I had on the train from Seattle to Portland but it was so disappointing (it was steamed when nuked in the dining car’s microwave) that I did not care to post about it. For dinner last night–once home–I had a second slice of Mushroom-Leek Quiche brought with me on the train, purchased at Cannon Beach’s Gower St. Bistro. I’ll post about that one later this week. In the meantime here is my entry:

ejm May 4, 2005 at 12:06 am

Oeuf! Did I hear right?
o v a – e n t h u s i a s t i c ?
… good yolk for a toast!
Ummm. Well. I tried. Alas, I am really falling behind on the actual eggs on toast though. I had cheese on toast this morning and saw the eggs in the fridge when I got the cheese… does that count?
-Elizabeth
(I love the trembling bread image)

Sue May 9, 2005 at 9:53 am

Hi Jeanne, I am way overdue, but I did actually have this meal on the appropriate last Sunday of the month, just was slow (okay REALLY slow) to post:
To make up for it, here is an ode to Eggs that I made up a while ago:
Sunny side up, you cheer me up.
On a mountain of rice with a drop of soy.
Scrambled, savoury or plain.
I love my mum’s version the best.
Poached, two by two on a brunch plate you go
A gentle luxury, a messy home brew.
Omelletes, I am master of thee.
Cheese essential, fillings optional.
Fried. Greasy ends curling
On a burger, dancing with bacon.
Fritata, Tortilla, Whatever they call ya
You blend and you mix, happy to be whipped.
O eggs, partner of the east and the west.
An accomplice, a team player but always a star.

natasha fialkov June 29, 2005 at 4:23 am

this may sound really stupid…i didn’t go all the way thru your blog…my family is south african and there is a pastry that my mom and granny make called a cook sister, but is not spelled that way, because it is in afrikans i think. just curious is you were south african, and if so, where you are from?
natasha

natasha fialkov June 29, 2005 at 4:27 am

ok, i looked around a bit, and read your story, so far. i wish i could go back, i haven’t been back in about 20 years. it is the most gorgeous place in the world.