Saturday Snapshots #91

by Jeanne on May 22, 2010

in London Life, Photography, Saturday Snapshots

LondonEyeWeb

London Eye by night - May 2010

The London Eye is a giant ferris wheel on the banks of the Thames in London, approximately across the river from the Houses of Parliament. It is the largest ferris wheel in Europe and carries passengers in 32 sealed, air-conditioned pods attached to its external circumference.  Each year since its opening an average of 3.75 passengers have climbed aboard for the 30 minute trip and unsurpassed views of London, making it the most popular paid for tourist attraction in the UK. It was officially opened by then Prime Minister Tony Blair on 31 December 1999 with the intention that it should remain in operation for only five years, but it has become such a much-loved London icon that its future has now been secured for at least 25 years. Seeing the Eye makes me inordinately happy, and proud, to live in London.

This is part of a series of non-food photographs that will be published every Saturday on CookSister. Click here for a full list of photographs previously featured.  All photos featured in Saturday Snapshots are available to buy as high-quality greeting cards or prints in my RedBubble store. They make gifts, for friends or for yourself!

Manggy May 23, 2010 at 2:24 am

It’s always been a regret that I didn’t ride it (much less come within a hundred feet of it)!

Elizabeth May 23, 2010 at 3:15 am

Nice picture!! I was on the London Eye on an unusually hot day in London in the summer of -I think – 2005. Those pods were a little bit hot that day, I don’t think the air conditioning was strong enough to keep up with the 90 plus degree temperatures. The heat and claustrophobia kind of ruined my experience of overlooking the city of London. Maybe I’ll do it again sometime, on a cool summer night. Cheers!

Sally D May 23, 2010 at 8:04 am

We rode the Eye last year in early October.
An early evening time slot on an overcast day but we watched as London turned from day to night – glorious and worth every penny. The kids loved the 3D video presentation (with sea spray) before boarding the Eye!
Afterwards we wandered on foot over to Covent Garden, soaking up the atmosphere…bliss.
Sally, Cape Town

Chef Dennis May 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm

what a great image!! I do remember my ride on the London Eye…my son had to ride it, and I had to overcome my fear of heights…..lol….but it was well worth it!
thanks for stirring my memories!
Cheers
Dennis

nina May 24, 2010 at 4:08 am

Hi Jeanne, great pic as always….Few sleeps over to Foodbloggers conference!!!

meeta May 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I love the London Eye to and also think it very much belongs to London now. Soeren’s biggest wish is to ride it one day. Every time I come to London he is rather sad that he cannot come. One day I’ll get him there. In the meantime – looking forward to seeing you next week my sweet!