Saturday Snapshots #22

by Jeanne on January 24, 2009

in Photography, Saturday Snapshots, Travel - USA

2008-LadybirdWeb

Illegal alien – Galena, Illinois – October 2008

When we were in Chicago last year, we drove out to Galena for the weekend and stopped at the Chestnut Mountain Resort on the banks of the Mississippi River.  While I was waiting for Nick, I snapped this little guy, and I was surprised to find he wasn't the only ladybird around.  When we got to our rented house, we found literally swarms of them, hurling themselves against the fly screens and crawling around the rooms.  I had never seen anything like it in my life.

Turns out this is an Asiatic or Harlequin ladybird (Harmonia axyridis), introduced from Asia into the US at various times from the early 1900s to the 1980s to control plant pests including aphids and scale insects.  So far so good.  What wasn't on the label was the fact that these insects are voracious feeders and have swept across the US, quickly becoming by far the most common ladybird species. Their increase in numbers has proved to be a catastrophe for native North American ladybirds as Harlequins consume their prey. The Harlequin ladybird is also partial to overwintering inside houses in huge numbers and have come to be regarded as an unwelcome annual invasion on par with wasps.  Their defecations, and nasty habit of secreting some of their own foul-smelling blood when threatened, can destroy upholstery, curtains and wallpaper. The Harlequin ladybird now roams across not only its native Asia and North America, but also the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Poland and Scandanavia with numbers soaring annually.  They are now the dominant ladybird species in the UK and have even arrived in South Africa.

This is part of a series of non-food photographs that will be published every Saturday on CookSister. Click here for a full list of photographs previously featured.

Natalian January 24, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I really do enjoy you photos! Thanks for the interesting info, I have always loved ladybirds however I hope this one doesn’t take over our South African locals!

elra January 24, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Jeanne, very very very beautiful. I need lady bug in my garden…
Cheers,
Elra

Gemma January 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm

That’s a great photo Jeanne – and interesting, if slightly scary, ladybird info. Don’t want any of them overwintering in my house!

Susan January 25, 2009 at 12:38 am

I feel so fortunate to have found your interesting blog today. And as for these bugs, they are horrible. Their stink is not very nice and they are pests. They seem to come out in the fall as the weather gets cooler. At least this was the situation in the upper midwest of America. I saw them once this fall in Florida and they were swarming all around. A very bad visitor to the states.

Kit January 25, 2009 at 9:49 am

And I thought all ladybirds were harmless and cute! Haven’t seen any here I don’t thing, but now I’m going to have to look at any one I see more carefully -checking it for alien qualities!

deeba January 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm

That’s a stunning Saturday snapshot Jeanne, ever so pretty. Love the trivia behind it too. We have plenty of red ones here & a few brownish orange ones…havn’t seen one like this before though!

Eleanor January 25, 2009 at 7:08 pm

How nice to find another South African blogger and a foodie at that! Who needs Martha Stewart any way? I popped over from the MaX Files in PE. He has kindly posted a nice little list of fellow country men/women just when I was beginning to think Bloggieland was only inhabited by my North American friends. I shall be back to browse your recipes!

Scott at Realepicurean January 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm

It’s a ladybird. Cute, aren’t they?

Coffee and Vanilla January 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Beautiful shot :) My daughter loves ladybugs…

bee January 27, 2009 at 4:15 am

talk about “give an inch …” lovely pic.

Rosemary January 27, 2009 at 9:20 am

Keith and I have been hiking every weekend and I’m wanting to start a Saturday hike shots.

Ivy January 28, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Ladybird’s are such cute insects. We used to play with them when we were kids, they are the only insect which did not scare me. Your shot is super!!!