Saturday Snapshots #3

by Jeanne on September 13, 2008

in Photography, Saturday Snapshots

20060926TowerBridgeB2008

Tower Bridge reflections, September 2006

This marvel of Victorian engineering crosses the river at the eastern edge of the City of London and was completed in 1894.  It was the first bridge to be built east of London Bridge and took 432 men 8 years to build.  It is a bascule bridge, meaning that it can lift up to accommodate tall shipping traffic – it still does so several times a week and it’s still exciting every time I see it happening.  Tours of the bridge’s internal structure are available, including a walk across the high-level walkways above the road.

This is part of a series of non-food photographs that will be published every Saturday on CookSister. Click here for a full list of photographs previously featured.  If you like this or any other photo featured in Saturday Snapshots, why not buy it as a greeting card or print in my RedBubble store?

Carolina September 13, 2008 at 10:40 am

What a beautiful picture. It’s just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Deeba September 13, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Always look forward to this Saturday snapshot…& it’s always stunning. Love this shot. I’ve seen the Tower Bridge open for ships often when we visited UK umpteen times in the past years…& always marvelled at the engineering. Have never seen it lit up at night…sure looks beautiful. Wish I could turn around & see the Abbey behind me too…what a great shot Jeanne!

Antonia September 13, 2008 at 7:56 pm

What a stunning shot this is – the reflection in the water is just beautiful.

Mel September 13, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Impressive my friend, you are such a humble pie girl yet actually so talented.
Wanna be YOU when I am big!

Jan September 13, 2008 at 10:25 pm

I know I come from London (but now live in Shropshire) but that’s one of the reasons I love London so much – there are some lovely sights to be seen there. Such a great picture!

Helen September 14, 2008 at 12:20 pm

This is my absolutely most favourite piece of London architecture! I have so many photos of Tower bridge it is just not normal. I even follow “her” on twitter, which makes me laugh every time as it just says “I am opening for the HMS so and so to pass upstream”. For some reason I find this endlessly entertaining…

Susan September 15, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Killer! Love it.

Coffee and Vanilla September 15, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Jeanne, that is really beautiful picture of tower bridge! :) I have seen it only once like this when we were going to the wedding party of our friends in Blue Print Cafe… unfortunately we did not take cameras and I was dressed in silk dress with arms and back uncovered so we had to almost run… it was February! ;)

bee September 16, 2008 at 7:43 pm

i love this series. spectacular shot!!!

Boots in the Oven September 17, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Beautiful, and so crisp!

Rosemary September 18, 2008 at 11:59 am

Beautiful! Going to see the flowers this weekend – At last photos of something other than food!

Mike (Trig's dad) September 19, 2008 at 5:25 pm

The walkway is rented out for business parties – I’ve eaten up there with my former company management team. The view is simply staggering. Next best thing to eating on that platform held up by a crane.

justfoodnow October 11, 2008 at 11:25 pm