Humpty Dumpty and friends – EoMEoTE #13

Humpty Dumpty was cracked on his head,

Humpty Dumpty was eaten with bread.

Now all the food bloggers and all of their friends

Will hunt Humpty Dumpty at every month’s end.

Yes, it’s that time of the month again, folks!  And of course, when I say the "end" of the month, I mean "somewhere vaguely between the 25th of the previous and the 10th of the following month" 😉 And that can only mean one thing – the End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza!  After my beloved EoMEoTE has been away from home for two months (thanks Stephanie and Moira for babysitting so well!)  I thought it was time to host it at home again for a change and I was pondering the question of theme.  Last time I hosted (end of August) it was high summer and life was great.  Now it is most definitely winter here in England and the weatherman is predicting the coldest winter since 1963 (when it started snowing on Boxing Day and didn’t stop till Easter.  Or something.).

It’s at times like these that we all need a little comforting.  Maybe you are in bed with a nasty cold and long for a nice coddled egg and a mug of tea.  Maybe you went out on the town last night to drink through the cold and are nursing a hangover that only a big eggy fry-up will cure.  Maybe you are just feeling cold and in need of a big edible hug, just like mom used to make.  So this month, the theme is nursery food, the food of childhood and and the food of comfort.  And of course, what with this being the only ovo-literary even on the web, I had to throw in some literary challenge too…  So when you post about your favourite eggy nursery food, please take a moment to add an appropriate nursery rhyme.  (In case you’ve thrown away your Mother Goose book, you can try here for some inspiration.)

So what do you need to do?  Well, the rules, as always, are simple.

1.  Make your favourite nursery/comfort food – and of course, ensure that you use both eggs and bread in this dish (very NB!!).

2.  Post it to your blog, together with a picture and some eggy adaptation of a nursery rhyme, as long or as short as you like.

3.  Send me the URL either via an e-mail or by leaving a comment in the comments section of this post.

I’ll give you the weekend to come up with your creations and will probably do the round-up sometime early next week.  No real pressure. So off you go, like Little Bo Peep to find your lost sheep.  And possibly some eggs on toast 😉

And for anyone wondering what the the heck the End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza is, here’s a little history lesson:

EoMEoTE #1

EoMEoTE #2

EoMEoTE #3

EoMEoTE #4

EoMEoTE #5

EoMEoTE #6 – haiku edition

EoMEoTE #7 – limerick edition

EoMEoTE #8 – the drama queen edition

EoMEoTE #9 – the Harry Potter edition

EoMEoTE #10 – the Dr Seuss edition

EoMEoTE #11 – the 70s song lyrics edition

EoMEoTE #12 – the Halloween edition

If you enjoyed reading this, please consider sharing it using the social media buttons below the post. I'd also love to hear what you thought about this post so please do leave a comment below. Hope to see you again soon!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. says

the eggs I’d already cooked in prep for eomeote weren’t “comfortable” enough for your challenge so yesterday when it was raining I really did comfort myself with eggs. I will try and post it up at the weekend sometime, once I’ve cleared the cobwebs from my brain and remembered my nursery rhymes.

2. says

Hi Sam
    Sorry – didn’t mean for you to have to cook eggs twice over!! But look forward to your entry – and if you can’t clear the cobwebs, why not go with he flow and parody Little Miss Muffett?? 😛
    Hi Stephanie
    Hmmm, Nursery Crimes indeed… I can’t *wait* to see what this entry is going to look like!!
    Hi Andrew
    Aaah, but the question not really whether or not it will rain – the question is whether, if a raindrop falls on an omelette in Henley, will a souffle fall in Beckton?? :o)
    Hi Sarah Lou
    Yaaaaay – our first contribution! Thanks for playing along and see you at the round-up.
    Hi Sarah
    Thanks! Sent you an e-mail this morning re. my trip… and looking forward to your eggy contribution!

3. SpittoonExtra says

End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza: Nursery Food Edition

Pat a cake, Pat a cake, baker’s man Bake me some bread as fast as you can; Pat it and prick it and mark it with an ‘E’, And put it in the oven for eomeote and me. End of Month Eggie time again. As decreed by Cooksister this month the theme is Nursery R…

4. says

Oh jeanne – it was no bother – i had eggs and toast 3 x this week and I am not complaining in the slightest. This is just the best of all the events to take part in cos i never fail to have all the necessary ingredeints in my house at all times. And it is always quick and delicious. And then the roundups are so fun. And it’s ok – I even thought of something more suitable than Miss Muffet (good idea though, liking the spider association!)

5. says

This is my first baby-step into the delightful world of foodblog events. I’ve enjoyed reading so many of the round-ups and finding all the great foog blogs, that I started to feel guilty about not joining in. Kind of like listening to public radio and not being a member! Here’s my link. Please be gentle.

6. says

Hi Jeanne!
    We’ve had a bit of a crisis around here, so I haven’t gotten anything together yet for EoMEoTE. I know I’m usually one of the earliest posters, so can you cut me a bit of slack and give me another couple of days? I’d really appreciate it!

7. says

Hi Sister,
    This month (and the last)has been nothing but eggs on toast for dinner. Made by hubby, daughter and self.Each has been a surprise.One of the recipes will be posted immediatement but have to confer with the intermittent chefs about exact ingredients. Will post you the link.
    BTW EoMEoTE is one of the best events on the foodie web.So down to earth.

8. says

Hi Sam
    I know what you mean – I can’t be mucking abotu with fancy ingredients first thign on a Saturday morning…! 😉
    Hi FianceeJ
    Welcome to EoMEoTE! And thanks for sharing your calorifically well-endowed but oh-so-somforting dish!
    Hi Christine
    That certainly sound comforting!! And for little hands, it removes the tricky part of getting all the egg out of the shell without ingesting bits of shell. Don’t know what Spike seasoning is though. Any hints?
    Hi Stephanie
    You want slack? Hey, slack is my middle name!! Take all the time you need. EoMEoTE will be here when you’re ready. :-)
    Hi Deccanheffalump
    Aww *blush* thanks! I’m glad you enjoy it so much! And look forward to hearing about your “egg on toast three ways” :-)

9. says

I don’t know where the time went – but I completely missed the deadline. Can’t wait to see what everyone else came up with though.

10. spittoonextra says