EoMEoTE#9 – Prisoner of Fryingpan

by Jeanne on July 29, 2005

in Events - EoMEoTE

Eomeote9logo_1 Gosh – has the end of the month rolled around again already?? [Well, that's what happens when you don't get your June round-up posted until late July!! - Ed.]  Well, my calendar tells me that July is on its deathbed and that can mean only one thing – it’s time for the End of Month Egg on Toast Extravagaza!  Can you believe we are already in our NINTH edition?  What started out as an in-joke between me and co-founder Anthony of Spiceblog has grown from a quirky private event to a slightly subversive but larger event, to the ovo-litero-culinary fest that it is today!  "Ovo-litero-culinary??" I hear you ask – if you are wondering whether the cheap recreational drugs have affected my brain, fear not!  The "litero" part kind of crept in over the past few months.  It started with ridiculously bad egg-related puns and grew from there to eggy haikus, limericks and drama (yes, I know, I always ovo-dramatise everything…!).

OK, for newcomers – the basic idea is this:  it’s the end of the month and the cupboard is bare.  All yuo have rattling around in the fridge are the old standbys – eggs and bread.  What are you going to make?  The basic groundrules are very very simple, but each month I add a twist, usually of a literary inclination:

1. Make a dish using eggs of some description (we have had all kinds of them so far…)
  2. In that dish, also include some form of carbohydrate to which heat has been applied – bread, pancakes, rice cakes, crumbs, cookies, crackers – you name it!  If Atkins bans it, we accept it!
  3. Write up your entry and post a photo on your blog (or send it to me if you don’t have a blog) by about 7 August 2005, making sure you write up your entry according to this month’s theme (see below).
  4. Send me an e-mail or leave me a comment here, including the link to your post.  I will stop being so useless and get the round-up posted within a day or two after that.

OK, Cooksister, say the masses, but what’s the theme??  Well… as the more observant amongst you may have noticed, there is a picture of an egg at the top of this post.  And that egg has a mark shaped like a bolt of lightning.  Why?  Well, because the evil chef Yolkemort killed this egg’s parents in a flash of light (and a lot of feathers and squawking…), but when he turned his attention to our little egg, the evil bounced right off, leaving him with only this scar to remember that dreadful night in the chicken coop…

Ring any bells??  It bloody well should – it’s only the most famous kids’ story in about a squillion years…  Yes, boys and girls, the theme this month is Harry Potter!  How you interpret the theme is up to you.  Name your dish after some aspect/character of the books.  Produce another short dramatic work using Potter-like characters.  Compose a picture of your dish looking suitably Potter-like (I can see it now – "here is the picture of a package.  Underneath it is my egg dish.  That bloody post owl had better improve her aim or her days are numbered!!").  Just let your imagination run wild.  All you have to remember is the eggs and the carbs.  After that, it’s all up to you…

[Thanks to Owen for giving me the idea by pointing me to a fabulous roundup of Harry Potter parodies  **WARNING!  PLOT SPOILER!  DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!** written for a Guardian newspaper cometition here.]

Stephanie July 29, 2005 at 8:08 pm

Crap. Crapcrapcrap.
I must be the only person on the planet to *not* have read any of the books…how much can I wing it?

sam July 29, 2005 at 10:28 pm

I am saving the book for my vacation, and its so long since i read the last one.

Jeanne July 29, 2005 at 11:47 pm

Sam, Stephanie,
Hey, come on, I’m not asking for an exact parody requiring in-depth knowledge of the subtle sub-plots!! If you can come up with a Quidditch Quiche or Eggs on Hogwarts Hash-browns I’d be quite happy! Even if you’ve never read a book or if it’s been ages since you last read one, there is soooooo much out there on the net that a 5 minute trawl will give you some Potter terminology to throw in & the rest you can wing.

Stephanie July 30, 2005 at 2:55 am

“And besides, it could have been worse. I could have asked for something in dactylic pentameter. Or a parody of Beowulf or something…!”
As Matt said, *that* we could do!

clare eats July 30, 2005 at 4:25 am

LOL!
I think it is a great Idea!!!

johanna July 31, 2005 at 12:02 am

oh my god. just posted, following a recurring meeting reminder in my calendat and obviously completely oblivious of the harry potter theme. but i DID use a pot. or at least a pan. and i work near platform 9 and a half at king’s cross. and am just reading “The bear under the stairs” with Max. Is that good enough?

Moira July 31, 2005 at 5:14 pm

Well, I’ll be coming out of my cupboard under the stairs, hopping on my Comet 260, and racing against the Dementors to participate in this one! Anyone care to meet at the Leaking Cauldron to talk things over? (God, I’m a geek)

Julia July 31, 2005 at 6:03 pm

Oh dear, I had already published my post and wanted to link to your site when I saw this month’s theme. The closest roti john comes to anything remotely Harry Potter is that it was created for a Westerner. Does that count?

McAuliflower July 31, 2005 at 8:57 pm

Boy, you sure are adding on to our homework load with this theme! I’m glad you’ve extended the deadline… I’m actually going to use it and put my post up later in the week.

saffron August 1, 2005 at 5:12 am

Harry Potter? Argh… I must be the only person who doesn’t dig the lad so much. I’ll have a go, as I qwas given the books for Christmas a few years ago – but only got past the first one.

Monkey Gland August 1, 2005 at 9:09 am

Norwegian Ridgeback Egg’s on toast…hmm how the hell do I poach em?

Jeanne August 2, 2005 at 12:09 pm

Stephanie,
Be careful what you wish for!! :P
Clare,
I’m glad SOMEBODY like the idea!! I thought it would be nice and non-threatening but apparently next time it has to be an Anglo-Saxon epic poetry theme…!
Johanna,
Hmm, maybe we could develop that pot theme a bit… And maybe the bear could become an owl. And maybe we could refer to Max as “Harry”, just for a few days. And… [Stop it, you're scaring the participants!! - Ed.]
Moira,
That’s the spirit! I look forward to Hufflepuffing my way through the entries. And I’ll happily meet you at the Leaky Cauldron, as long as you’re buying the butterbeer!
Julia,
Hmmm, not sure how Potteresque that is. Now maybe if you made the dish for a Muggle-Westerner, that would be a different story… ;-)
McAuliflower,
Aww, it’s not THAT much – I am easily pleased with the tiniest effort at following the theme. I am very partial to my “the owl squashed my entry” idea. Sorts out your theme and your picture in one go!! I’m sure you’ll produce a fine contribution as always…
Saffron,
It’s not that I am his biggest fan either – but he’s pervasive and easy to parody. So basically I am merely showing off my lazy streak!! :-)
Monkeygland,
Very very carefully. If the mother catches you poaching eggs form her nest you are TOAST! :P

ejm August 2, 2005 at 2:14 pm

You’re mad, I tell you. You’re mad.
-Elizabeth
P.S. (mad in the best possible way, of course!)
P.P.S. Anglo-Saxon epic poetry theme??!!! eeeeeek!! Sure, today you say it in jest but we all know what tomorrow will bring.

McAuliflower August 3, 2005 at 6:44 pm

ditto Elizabeth!
But fortunatley so are the rest of us!
Here’s my entry, Crispy Eggs with Instant Toast; I just put up the muggle translation too.
and well, it was a load of fun!

ejm August 3, 2005 at 11:03 pm

Yes, indeed, McAuliflower. That’s what I truly love about EoMEoTE and its participants.
-Elizabeth

sarah August 4, 2005 at 8:29 pm

um, no, you’re not the only one that hasn’t read the potter stuff. actually, i did read the first one, but that was so long ago, and i THINK i read it while half doped on medications, so i don’t remember a single thing.
so seven novels later…how old is harry now? and is he STILL in wizard school? omg – i have no idea how to incorporate this literary theme! lol! i thought this was supposed to be the easy eggy event!
jeanne! next time, babe, how about…dr. seuss?

sarah August 5, 2005 at 8:14 am

okay, so it’s a bit weak, but that’s all the inspiration i got…harry and his pals on summer vacation from hogwarts in…IBIZA. LOL!
LOL! thanks for the fun! ;)

anthony August 5, 2005 at 11:57 am
Jeanne August 5, 2005 at 5:54 pm

Hi Elizabeth
Mad is an understatement… I’ve always found sanity to be waaay overrated!! And as for the Beowulf Edition of EoMEoTE – thank Stephanie :P Will have to see what next month brings…!
Hi McAuliflower
Too true – I certainly wouldn’t let all of you participate if I didn’t think you were barking mad ;-) Thanks for the post – especially the easy-to-use Muggle translation…
Hi Sarah
Hahaha – that’s great! And see – your lack of familiarity with the books wasn’t even an impediment!! LIke I said – just let yuor imagination run wild… Thanks for playing along :)
Hi Manly Spice
Hahaha – Dr Seuss and Scandeswedewegian symbolism all in one “video nasty” package. Just one teensy little questionette – which part of toast did you not uinderstand??!

ejm August 5, 2005 at 11:23 pm

Nothing wrong there, that I can see, Jeanne. Clearly the spicy egg is toast after being under the hammer.
-Elizabeth, putting Beowulf on hold at the library (there sure is a lot of homework for this event!)

AugustusGloop August 6, 2005 at 2:46 pm
Stephen August 6, 2005 at 7:52 pm

I’ve just posted Deviled Egg Salad at http://www.stephencooks.com/2005/08/deviled_egg_sal.html — this was a lot of fun, and I didn’t even have to read the books!
Thanks, Jeanne!

saffron August 7, 2005 at 5:30 am

Hi Jeanne – Here is my mediocre attempt at EoMEoTE >>> http://www.thefoodpalate.com/2005/08/eomeote9-going-hopper-mad.html
Thanks for hosting, you always do a wonderful job
Cheers

Spittoon.biz August 7, 2005 at 8:05 pm

End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza: Harry Potter Edition.

Nothing tops a slice of Dragon Bacon with your eggs and toast….

clare eats August 8, 2005 at 3:25 am
clare eats August 8, 2005 at 3:26 am

sorry if I am a bit late…

Sylvie August 8, 2005 at 4:31 am

Here’s my entry. I’m not a Harry Potter reader so hope this fits the theme.
Egg Salad on English Muffin Sun Face

Stephanie August 8, 2005 at 11:01 pm
mrs D August 9, 2005 at 3:40 am

Okay, I’m late but I couldn’t help myself. I forgot about EoMEoTE until yesterday (bad me!), then saw the theme and just HAD to do *something!*

Lady Amalthea August 9, 2005 at 6:13 am

Hey, Jeanne,
Sorry I’m late but I couldn’t resist. This was really fun; I liked playing with the Harry Potter theme. And I’m gonna put in a vote against Beowolf as next month’s theme…

Lady Amalthea August 9, 2005 at 6:13 am

Hey, Jeanne,

Blog Carnival September 11, 2005 at 4:09 pm

Blog Carnival index: EoMEoTE#9 – Prisoner of Fryingpan

END OF MONTH EGG ON TOAST EXTRAVAGANZA is now up at Cook sister!!