Recipe for a perfect Alpine summer holiday

by Jeanne on July 9, 2008

in Travel - France

Ingredients:

Chalet

1 apartment in a secluded chalet in the shadow of Mont Blanc and the Aguille du Midi

Kittens

3 local kittens and their mom for hours of entertainment

MontBlanc

AguilleDuMidi

a generous handful of snowy mountain peaks

GlacierBossons

BraaiNick

BraaiMeat

2 Alpine braais (BBQs)

WildStrawberries

A few wild strawberries

Method:

Mix all the ingredients together in generous quantities. Bake at 30C every day and allow to cool in the daily late-afternoon thundershowers. Make sure everyone gets a big portion every day.  Try not to worry about the lack of WiFi or the almost total absence of photographable meals.  When you need internet access, why not take your laptop down to the Chamonix tourist office where you have free 24 hour internet access at a long wooden counter under a little awning – perfect for Gonzo blogging in the middle of a thunderstorm.  (I am not making this up.)

For dessert, why not try a weekend in Geneva with dear friends:

PreWeddingParty

Garnish with a wedding in a beautiful Chateau and a couple of newlyweds:

CharlotteChris

Pille July 10, 2008 at 11:42 am

Sounds like a perfect holiday indeed!!

Dragon July 10, 2008 at 2:41 pm

I hope to try this recipe some day. It looks delicious. :)

kit July 10, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Sounds like a wonderful holiday – sparkling snow and sunshine! Must have been a bit of a shock to come back to soggy London – just hope a little sunshine decides to honour us with a vist here too now.

Charlotte July 10, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Sounds divine. Glad you had fun.

Hélène July 10, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Looks too good to be true.

ilingc July 10, 2008 at 7:09 pm

priceless!! :) can’t believe there are still some snow capped mountains around in july!

courtney July 10, 2008 at 7:25 pm

What lovely holiday topped off with some romance.

Sorina July 10, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Those are really terrific photos.

katie July 10, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Sigh…..
Looks pretty perfect to me! I love (and miss) the mountains…
One more time: Sigh…..

Jeanne July 11, 2008 at 11:49 am

Pille – “perfect” does not do it proper justice. I can’t WAIT to go back!
Dragon – it’s the best recipe I’ve ever made :)
Kit – tell me about it… and poor you – from rain to rain! Hope the weather dries out a little for the rest of your holiday.
Charlotte & Helene – highly recommended is all I can say!
Iling – I know – isn’t it hilarious! And the fluctuation from 30C to 4C in the space of 15 minutes must be the biggest temperature change in the shortest time I’ve ever experienced!
Courtney – I do believe every holiday should end with a romantic wedding ;)
Sorina – thanks *blush*
Katie – I know what you mean. I am becoming a mountain addict in my old age – there is something sooooo comforting about being surrounded by mountains.

Gill July 11, 2008 at 1:40 pm

It looks like an absolutely perfect holiday. I am green with envy ;-)

justfoodnow July 11, 2008 at 2:49 pm

The Alps just have it, somehow. Christmas there is just as magical – masses of snow and amazing people and Chrismas eve in the quiet and the aperol!!! I am a cheese-a-holic which made me a sucker for fondue and raclette. Heavenly – would love love love a summer vacation there.

Ash July 12, 2008 at 4:36 pm

So jealous! It looks like a perfect holiday. Next year (after the skiing – still terrified) maybe we’ll take the kids for an alpine holiday. Your recipe is lovely, just wait til August when I have a special Italian vacation recipe to share :)

Jan July 13, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Looks like a fantastic holiday! Love the pictures – back to the UK and the rain lol

Nicisme July 14, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Great photos! Looks like a super place to go on holiday.

Jeanne July 23, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Gill – what can I say – it was pretty much perfect!
Justfoodnow – I’ve never been in the ALps for Christmas – only the Pyrenees – but I can only imagine how lovely it must be. And I can *highly* recommend a summer trip to the Alps!
Ash – can’t wait for you to share your recipe ;-) And stop panicking about skiing – I can almost guarantee that by next year this time you and I will be swapping ski tales like old pros :)
Jan and Nic – glad you liked the pics, and it was a fab place for summer hols. Just the antidote I needed from our grey London summer…