Roasted strawberries – c’mon, everybody’s doing it!

by Jeanne on August 3, 2008

in Dessert, Events - Sugar High Fridays

20080802 BalsamicRoastedStrawberriesTitle And so, the wave of visitors continues – the latest arrival being Nick's gran, who flew in yesterday morning from Cape Town.

courtney August 4, 2008 at 2:05 am

I have to get on the band wagon and do this.

Susan from Food Blogga August 4, 2008 at 3:14 am

I’m so glad your exploring the treasures in your back yard! Speaking of treasures, that’s what this dessert is, Jeanne. I’ve seen roasted strawberries a couple of times now too. What am I waiting for to make them?!

cookinpanda August 4, 2008 at 5:29 am

I should do this. I feel I am really missing out.

Anne August 4, 2008 at 6:22 am

Oh, that is just beautiful. It sounds amazing – I’ve somehow missed the other posts on this, but I’m glad I caught yours. Hope I can still find some strawberries!

Pille August 4, 2008 at 6:36 am

First time I hear about roasting strawberries!?! Intrigued, however :)

Jan August 4, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I MUST try this – just have so many things to ‘try’ I can’t keep up lol.
PS: I haven’t forgotten the meme (just had a hectic weekend) I will do this week – promise.

nina August 4, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Today at Spar a vegetable hawker was trying to sell me some strawberries and my system was saying…”Can’t be! No, it is not strawberry time yet!” At R30 pr kilo it is still a bit expensive too. In about a months time……. I will keep this in mind!

Kevin August 4, 2008 at 7:47 pm

I really enjoyed the roasted strawberries. Yours look really good on the vanilla ice cream. I am going to have to look for some of that caramelized verjuice to try.

Darius T. Williams August 5, 2008 at 3:11 am

You’re right – everyone’s roasting strawberries these days. I’m going to be joining the group soon – lol.
-DTW

justfoodnow August 5, 2008 at 6:52 am

Hi – me again. These things are just not available here in Cape Town right now so the million dollar question is, could I make these with the frozen kind? I froze quite a few this summer, most of them really beautiful and firm and since this is your recipe, please help!!!!
As usual stunning stunning blog – it’s like a holiday to me right now.

saaleha August 5, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Gorgeous!
I always enjoy strawbs with balsamic, but this roasting you’ve done simply moves me!

brian August 5, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Jeanne you’ve got to try this with the strawberries flash roasted in a pizza oven. I like to keep all the red wine leftovers until I have enough to make a Gluhwein and then reduce it down to a rich glaze. Apart from making a stunning dessert sauce it imparts an incredible concentrated wintery flavour to a summery fruit……does that make sense ?

Tongue-Tickle August 6, 2008 at 2:33 pm

im loving your pics!!

Boots in the Oven August 6, 2008 at 4:38 pm

How simple and delicious-looking! We roast veggies all the time, but not fruit, except maybe apples… and strawberries, now there’s a good idea. Thanks for the recipe!

herschelian August 6, 2008 at 5:10 pm

About three years ago I went mad for roast strawberries as a dessert and for a month or twoserved them to everybody who crossed the threshold; it’s one of my worst culinary habits to get hooked on a recipe and then do it to death.
I was using balsamic, but I bought some verjuice in SA earlier this year and think that it’s a wonderful idea to use that instead. How did you caramelize it?

kittie August 6, 2008 at 6:58 pm

wow – obviously I’ve been on mars, cos this is the first time I’ve seen these little beauties!!
Mmmmmmmm………mmmm :D

Jan August 7, 2008 at 11:39 am

Jeanne – I’ve done the ‘Six Quirky Things’ meme! Thanks again Jan x

Johanna August 8, 2008 at 9:20 am

I tried roasting strawberries for the first time this year and they are excellent – works well in Australia where our berries aren’t as wonderful in the UK and your pic of them with the icecream has me wanted to make these again

brilynn August 8, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Glad you finally caved to peer pressure, I love the roasted strawberries and have made them numerous times since.

Nicisme August 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Jeanne, aren’t they great? I must make them again after seeing this!
I’m looking forward to the review of the pub as I’m not far from there.

Elizabet August 11, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Roasted (!!) strawberries! What an amazing idea. I can see that this would be a good way to rescue slightly inferior strawberries. Too bad I didn’t see this when local strawberries were still in season. (Now the strawberries are well past their prime and the only ones available are the giant wooden-flavoured variety from California.) I do hope I remember to try this next summer when strawberries return.

Bellini Valli August 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm

I don’t know how I missed this one so it is definitely bookmarked for when strawberries are not at their prime:D