DMBLGiT September – and the winners are…

by Jeanne on October 10, 2007

in Events - DMBLGiT

Well folks, the web album has been up for a while, the judges have had a close look and the score-sheets are in.  This month, your hard-working judges were Andrew, Ilva, Johanna and myself – and given the standard of the entries let me assure you that we certainly did have to work hard!  I looked back at my scoresheet for a previous edition of the competition which I judged (in Feb 2006) and saw comments like “focus!!”, “this needs cropping” and “what’s the point?”.  And the good news is that these basic errors now hardly feature in my comments to myself – the technical standard has just improved in leaps and bounds.  That said, every competition has to have its winners and its losers…  so let’s meet our winners!

OVERALL WINNERS

Tied for first place were:

Lilafuge

Lila Fuge‘s droolworthy salted caramel ice cream with fig compote

Rasamalaysia

Rasa Malaysia‘s exquisitely composed steamed scallops with soy sauce and garlic oil.

Tied for second place were:

Ptitmiam

P’tit Miam Tout en Colour‘s beautifully restrained pineapple ginger refrigerator cheesecake

Lepetrin

Le Petrin‘s delicious looking port tiramisu

And in third place was

1001recettes

1001 Recettes‘s serene coffee – what else?

EDIBILITY WINNERS

Tied for first place were: Rasa Malaysia‘s steamed scallops with soy sauce and garlic oil and Le Petrin‘s port tiramisu (both pictured above).

Tied runners-upwere P’tit Miam Tout en Colour‘s pineapple ginger refrigerator cheesecake (pictured above) and

Coffeeandvanilla

Coffee and Vanilla‘s picture-pertect blueberry muffin

ORIGINALITY WINNERS

In first place was Lila Fuge‘s salted caramel ice cream with fig compote (pictured above) and tied runners-up were P’tit Miam Tout en Colour‘s pineapple ginger refrigerator cheesecake (pictured above) and

Fortheloveoffood

For the Love of Food‘s funky IKEA kebabs.

AESTHETICS WINNERS

In first place was Rasa Malaysia‘s steamed scallops with soy sauce and garlic oil (pictured above). Runner-up was 1001 Recettes‘s serene coffee – what else? (pictured above).

HOST AWARDS

To my great joy, Andrew also informed my that my hosting privileges extended to giving award “host awards” to highlight pictures that did not necessarily get the most points, but that I personally loved. Not to say that I did not love the winners above, of course, but two pictures that appealed to me from the first time I saw them were:

Thymeforfood_3

Thyme for Food‘s acorn squash and cookies gelato

Cookalmostanything

Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once‘s Fractal Romanesco broccoli

And that, as they say, is all folks. Congratulations to all the worthy winners and thank you very much to all those who participated, especially to those participants with whom I had lovely e-mail conversations. I have discovered new blogs, revisited old favourites and been inspired by all your beautiful pictures. See you next month when Bake or Break will be hosting!

Andrew October 10, 2007 at 7:18 pm

Excellent work sir, excellent work.
It is quite a task sorting all the submissions out let alone having to actually grade them all. I found the standard excellent (yet again) but several I liked I see didnt quite make it! Shame… but congrats to those that did!

Chennette October 10, 2007 at 10:35 pm

Ahh, congrats to the winners. I really loved the Serene Coffee photo! But all the winners were great. As my first time trying to participate in foodblogging events, I love that I found so many great blogs and photographers. So much to learn.
Great work hosting!

Suganya October 11, 2007 at 12:00 am

Congratulations to all the winners. I loved the coffee shot and the ikea kebabs are truly original.

Susan from Food Blogga October 11, 2007 at 1:07 am

Kudos to the winners! And thanks to you, Jeanne, for the round-up!

African Vanielje October 11, 2007 at 1:15 am

well done to all the winners. all the entries were so fab that i don’t know how you chose Jeanne, but you did a good job. well done to andrew, ilve and johanna too.

Rasa Malaysia October 11, 2007 at 4:46 am

Thanks so much for picking my picture as one of the winning shots…it’s truly an honor. :)

Claude-Olivier October 11, 2007 at 7:57 am

^^ Thank you very much, I’m so happy to be in the winners list ;-) So once again, thank you for the organisation of this DMBLGiT and let continue! Cheers

Lila Füge October 11, 2007 at 2:05 pm

I’m speechless :) Thank you so much for organizing, hosting and judging this event and of course for picking my pic as the winner! Congrats to all the winners, there are some really great photos on the list.

$ha October 11, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Thank you so much for this job! I can imagine it’s not easy to be a judge with this kind of pictures! Each ones of the album has something! I really love the first winners’s picture!

Katie October 11, 2007 at 4:22 pm

You’re right – the photos or gorgeous. I’m green!

Tricolor October 11, 2007 at 10:23 pm

mostarda di fichi caramellati con aceto balsamico…
come faccia a piacere una cosa simile, è un mistero!
congratulazioni al vincitore.

Coffee & Vanilla October 11, 2007 at 10:45 pm

Thank you very much for choosing my photo, that’s a very nice surprise.
Greetings, Margot

Coffee & Vanilla October 11, 2007 at 10:45 pm

Thank you very much for choosing my photo, that’s a very nice surprise.
Greetings, Margot

Coffee & Vanilla October 11, 2007 at 10:45 pm

Thank you very much for choosing my photo, that’s a very nice surprise.
Greetings, Margot

bee October 12, 2007 at 4:38 am

thanks for a stupendous effort, jeanne.

Evelin October 12, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Droolworthy indeed!:) A very good choice of winners.

Sara, Ms. Adventures in Italy October 12, 2007 at 8:35 pm

If anything, I think it’s getting much harder to judge!! Congratulations to all! :)

TBC October 13, 2007 at 4:27 am

Congrats to all the winners! What a beautiful collection of pictures!

Lien October 13, 2007 at 11:06 am

Congratulations all!
Bedankt Jeanne voor al je werk en moeite!

June October 14, 2007 at 2:20 am

Congrats to the winners!!!! Thank so much for the host award, not bad for my first entry!

avital October 15, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Wow I’m so happy!! Thank you so much for choosing my photo, I’m so proud.. especially because it figures my daughter’s hand!! Thanks again to the judges and especially to you Jeannec for a wonderful organization!!

auntie jo October 16, 2007 at 11:30 am

congratulations to all the winners, the pictures are stunningly beautiful!!!

sona, the kitchen scientist October 21, 2007 at 10:18 am

Hi Jeanne,
great roundup, and congrats to all winners..I am forwarding my earlier sent email once again to you, as my snap is taken in Sept, so cud go for it, this time..
cheers,
Sona

Lemongrass October 21, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Who is hosting the next DMBLGiT??

Jeanne October 30, 2007 at 11:30 am

Andrew – I agree, the standard is just fantastically high. Makes judging hard but also more interesting. And I know what you mean about some favourites not making it – which is why I appreciate the chance to hand out host awards :)
Chenette – welcome and I’m glad you enjoyed your first DMBLGIT! It’s a great way to meet some very talented people and discover their blogs.
Suganya – isn’t it a fab shot? Lots of them had me thinking “awww, I wish I’d thought of that!”. Inspirational.
Susan – thanks, it was my pleasure!
AV – it was a tough job but also great fun. And you always gain inspiration in the process!
Rasa Malaysia, Claude and Lila Fuge – you are all most welcome and let me say again what very worthy winners your astonishing pictures were!
$ha – it’s a pleasure – although I must say that it gets harder and harder to judge as the quality increases month after month!
Katie and Tricolor – truly gorgeous aren’t they! Very worthy winners.
Margot – congratulations to you once again – and your picture was an easy choice :)
Bee, Evelin, Sara and TBC – glad you enjoyed our choice of winners. The pleasure really was ours!
Lien – dit was my plesier! Hoop ons sien jou volgende maand weer :)
June – that host award was a no-brainer in my book. I fell in love with your photo the first time I laid eyes on it :) Well done!
Avital – it was a well-deserved win – and tell your daughter her hand is now famous :)
Auntie Jo – I agree! I feel woefully inadequate in this company…!
Sona and Lemongrass – this month’s host is Jennifer at Bake or Break (www.bakeorbreak.com)

lory January 16, 2009 at 9:04 am