Food photography and styling workshop – Italy, 2-3 May 2014
Want to learn to photograph food like a pro, both at home and in restaurants?
I am thrilled to be able to announce that I will be co-presenting a food photography and styling workshop with my sister-from-another-mother and talented photographer Meeta Khurana-Wolff in Italy in May! Meeta and I have been teaching together since 2011 as part of the Plate to Page team and also ran the very successful London Food Photography and Styling Workshop in February 2013. So while Plate to Page takes a short hiatus this year, we wanted to find another opportunity of working together – and the opportunity to teach in the heart of Prosecco country outside Venice was just too good to pass up!
Yes folks, pack your bags – we’re going to be living la dolce vita just outside Venice, Italy in the form of a sensational 2-day food photography and styling workshop. We will be staying among the rolling hills in the heart of the Prosecco-producing region in Valdobbiadene, a picturesque village in the Veneto. Here, far from the tourist crowds, we will spend a two days at the tranquil Hotel Diana, making use of their modern meeting facilities in an environment conducive to inspiration, creative development and collaborative learning. Hotel Diana not only provides us with a convenient base for our field trip but is also well located for strolling into the village, or as a base for exploring the area after the workshop is finished.
We have put together, what we believe to be an interactive, stimulating and fun programme, where you will learn the fundamental elements of food photography as well as the principles food styling as we help you to unlock your personal style. Unlike many other workshops, the focus will not only on natural lighting but we will also be extensively covering how to shoot in the low-light conditions specifically encountered restaurant photography. You can look forward to two days of engaging practical assignments, a lot of theory, creative sessions and individual feedback. But it won’t be all work and no play! We also plan to spoil you with delicious traditional Italian food and wine during on-location shoots at dinner in a local osteria, and during an exclusive vineyard and winery tour including a tutored tasting at the stunning Nino Franco estate. The beautiful estate and their Villa Barberina will also provide the backdrop for practical assignment.
But… there’s more! We are also running an exclusive photography competition together with our awesome sponsors Nino Franco Prosecco which will put our participants in line to win a 2-night stay for themselves and a partner at the sumptuous 18th centure Villa Barberini in the heart of the Nino Franco vineyards. All you need to do is submit your best photograph featuring Nino Franco’s premium Primo Franco prosecco taken during the workshop – but you do need to be a participant to enter, so register now! Full details of the competition are available here.
Ticket price: EURO 770.00
- 2 day food styling and photography sessions with Meeta and Jeanne
- 2 nights accommodation (Thursday 1st to Saturday 3rd May) including breakfast
- Friday: Meet & Greet Brunch, Dinner at a local Osteria
Saturday: Field trip transportation, winery/vineyard tour and tutored tasting
- Fruit and beverages during the workshop
Does NOT include:
- Travel costs to venue, insurance
Check-in – Thursday 1st May 2014
Day one – Friday 2nd May 2014
- Breakfast & Introductions
- Photography Fundamentals by Jeanne - Mastering the camera & learning the basics (shutter speed, aperture, ISO & co.)
- Meet & Greet Brunch - A rustic brunch, the Italian way, featuring some Venetian specialities
- Photography Techniques by Meeta - Natural light techniques, getting a sharp focus, color & texture
- Styling Fundamentals by Meeta - Composition and placement, creating a mood/atmosphere, the right props, color, texture etc.
- Styling demo with Meeta
- Free-style Photography/Styling Exercises - Short, focused practical exercises to warm up your creativity
- Restaurant photography by Jeanne - How to shoot in low-light situations as well as basic styling tips
- Pushing Photoshop by Jeanne - Post-processing your low-light images
- Dinner at a typical local Osteria and on-location photo shoot - Practise taking shots in a restaurant atmosphere and in low light conditions.
Day two – Saturday 3rd May 2014
- Enlightening yourself with Lightroom by Meeta - Workflow, post-processing, watermarking, tagging
- Field trip – Nino Franco Prosecco estate - This includes a vineyard and winery tour, and a tutored prosecco tasting; as well as time to gather images for your main photography assignment
- Lunch at the Nino Franco Prosecco estate
- Intensive group work on main photography assignment
- Evaluation, discussion & critique on assignment - Constructive feedback, discussion and critique on exercises
- Finale Aperitivi & Farewell
To register for this workshop please fill out the registration form here.
Payment: Full payment is required upon registration and no refunds are possible. Once you have registered you will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of registration, containing further details and instructions.
Please note: The workshop is limited to only 12 participants and places are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. All presentations will be in English. The course is suitable both for beginner and more advanced photographers wishing to build on their and is aimed towards beginners, novice and advanced level participants. The instructors reserve the right to modify the programme should the need arise.
I look forward to meeting some of my readers in Italy in May!
Get Free Email Updates
Never miss an update by subscribing to the blog now!