Does My Blog Look Good in This August 2010 – the winners

by Jeanne on September 1, 2010

in Events - DMBLGiT

Post image for Does My Blog Look Good in This August 2010 – the winners

It’s been a week of giving and receiving good news here at CookSister HQ! First came the good news that I am a finalist in the 2010 South African Blog Awards, both in the Best Food & Wine Blog and the Best Overseas Blog categories – woo hoo!  Thanks to all who nominated me – if you feel so inclined, please could you vote for me by clicking here?  You can vote once every 24 hours until 15 September, so as many as you can manage ;-)Thanks ever so much!

In terms of giving out good news – maestro, a drum roll please – I can now announce the winners of the August 2010 edition of Does My Blog Look Good in This, the monthly photo event started by my good friend Andrew of Spittoon. We had 42 entries (view them all in the DMBLGiT August 2010 album) and sifting through them was a difficult task, so I recruited a crack team of judges to help me.  Please may I introduce the gorgeous and talented judging panel:

Meeta of What’s for Lunch Honey

Anh of A Food Lover’s Journey

Soma of E-Curry

Sari of Cook Your Dream

A huge thank you to all of you for your help – it’s a tough job judging and I could not have done it without you!

After much head-scratching and debating, the final scores were tallied and here are your worthy winners:

OVERALL WINNER

CookSnapRepeat

Tomatoes! from Cookie of Cook, Snap, RepeatCamera:  Canon T1i.  Judges’ comments: “simple but strong composition, great textures, beautifully lit”

OVERALL SECOND PLACE

BerryLovely

Red Currant Cakes in glass jars from Sabine of Berry Lovely.  Camera: Nikon D200.  Judges’ comments:  “nice use of colour, texture and DoF”

OVERALL THIRD PLACE

SweetSensation

Mixed Berry Oatmeal Porridge by Monika of Sweet Sensation.  Camera: Pentax K10D.  Judges’ comments: “good composition, tells a story, lovely colours throughout”

EDIBILITY WINNER

PoiresAuChocolat

Baked vanilla custard topped with strawberry syrup and wild strawberries  by Emma of Poires au Chocolat.  Camera:  Sony Alpha 350 with a 2.8/50 macro lens.

ORIGINALITY WINNER

IndianSimmer

Pepper and rice for peppery rice from Prerna Singh of Indian Simmer.  Camera : Canon 5D, lens 50mm f1.4.  Judges’ comments: “gorgeous, dainty prop, spot-on focus”

AESTHETICS WINNER

CroissantParmesan

Cherries from Lauresophie of Croissant & Parmesan. Camera: Nikon D700

HOST AWARD

WinterGuest

Balsamic tomato and carrot salad fron Miriam García of The Winter Guest.  Camera:  Nikon D70s, Nikkor lens 35mm 1:1.8G.  My comments:  I just loved the colours and shapes of this picture from the first moment I saw it, and my eye kept coming back to it.

Congratulations to all the winners – I will shortly be sending you your winners’ badges – wear them with pride!  And thank you also to everybody who submitted photographs – the high standard of submissions meant that our job as judges was that much harder, but that much more rewarding.  Good luck for next month’s competition which will be hosted by Sunshinemom of Tum Yum Treats.  Look out for her announcement soon!

nina September 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Welldone to all the winners!

Sarka September 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Congrats Jeanne for being a finalist in the 2010 South African Blog Awards! I just voted for you! And thank you for hosting DMBLGIT event. I really enjoyed being a judge, though it was truly a difficult task with so many gorgeous pictures on board. Congratulations to all the winners!

Kit September 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Love the redness thorughout all the winning photos – berries, tomatoes, all that late summer blaze of colour.
I’ve voted for you – didn’t know that we could vote every day though, so will have to go back again tomorrow!

Marisa September 2, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Well deserved winners! Love that rice & pepper one from Prerna.

Joan Nova September 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Inspirational photos and a few new blogs for me to visit. Thanks and congrats on your nomination and probable win. :)

Soma September 2, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thank you Jeanne for allowing me to judge. I loved it! The pictures were all lovely and it was not an easy task to score. Congrats to all the winners!

Marie Viljoen September 2, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Hi Jeanne
Congratulations!
As a fellow nominee in the best Overseas, as well as Photography – should we tear each other’s hair out? :-) – I wanted to ask you: I find the new policy at the Awards of being able to vote every 24 hours really annoying, and pretty bad PR. It makes us ask our readers to do this every day for over two weeks, on top of all the emails they are already receiving from the Awards – which I believe is a huge imposition? One vote should be enough -
What do you think?

Malaysian Delicacies September 3, 2010 at 1:13 am

Congrats to all winners

deeba September 3, 2010 at 9:59 am

Voted for ya Cook Sistah … and hope you win! Congrats to all the DMBLGIT winners. Each picture is fabulous!

Jamie September 3, 2010 at 11:53 am

Wow! Each and every photo here from the colors to the styling and lighting are amazing and inspiring! Fabulous winners and it must have been so hard to choose! Congrats to each and every winner!
Jeanne, voting for you twice every day, babes!

Aparna September 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Congratlations to the winners. The pictures are gorgeous.

amelia from Z Tasty Life September 3, 2010 at 4:05 pm

wonderful entries!!!

Monika September 4, 2010 at 7:41 am

Wow! I’m honored. A big thank you to the judges for the award. And congrats to all the winners. The shots are all gorgeous. Being a former DMBLGIT judge myself, I know it’s not an easy task to choose the best photos among such a strong competition. Cheers!