Creamy chickpea, spinach and zucchini curry
Author: Jeanne Horak-Druiff
Recipe type: Main
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3cm (1¼ inch) piece ginger, grated
- 6 medium tomatoes (as ripe as you can find)
- 1.5 teaspoons canola or other neutral oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 tsp yeast extract (you can also substitute Marmite)
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 2 zucchini/courgettes, diced into cubes
- 100ml coconut milk
- 1 x 400g chickpeas, drained
- 150g spinach leaves, shredded (or use baby spinach leaves instead)
- handful of fresh coriander/cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes in a food processor and blend to a thick purée.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add the spices and fry for a few seconds until they become fragrant, then add the purée and stir in the yeast extract and heat till bubbling.
- Add the lentils and coconut milk and cook over medium heat until the lentils are tender. Add the zucchini and simmer for 5-10 minutes until beginning to feel tender.
- Stir in the drained chickpeas and spinach leaves and heat through. Check for seasoning; add salt and pepper to taste and stir through the chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Serve with boiled basmati rice and more fresh coriander/cilantro leaves.
Recipe by Cooksister | Food, Travel, Photography at http://www.cooksister.com/2014/01/creamy-chickpea-spinach-zucchini-curry.html