Marie Viljoen's spiced pears roasted in red wine
Author: Jeanne Horak-Druiff
Recipe type: Dessert
- 12 small pears peeled
- 2 cups red wine
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 10 black peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Halve and core the pears (I used a melon baller to core them, which makes pretty, round hollows) and arrange in a heavy pan or roasting dish, cut side up.
- Mix the wine, sugar and spices so that the sugar melts a little and pour over the pears.
- Place in the oven uncovered for two hours, spooning the wine over the pears about every 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, or cool, with cardamom-infused whipped cream.
- Can be made in advance and kept in the fridge in a sealed container for up to two days.
Recipe by Cooksister | Food, Travel, Photography at http://www.cooksister.com/2013/12/spiced-pears-roasted-red-wine-66-square-feet-cookbook.html