Rhubarb & pear muffins
Author: Jeanne Horak-Druiff 2013
Recipe type: Baking
- 150g (1 cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 150g (1 cup) white self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 115g (½ cup) + 1 Tbsp sugar (I used golden caster)
- 45 g (3 Tbsp) butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp runny honey
- 250ml (1 cup) milk (I used full cream)
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 2cm lengths
- 1 pear, peeled and cut into small cubes
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- Stir 1 Tbsp of the caster sugar into the chopped rhubarb.
- Mix both flours, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg into a large bowl, then add the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter, egg, honey and milk. Pour this mix into the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined but do not overmix.
- Fold the rhubarb and pear into the mix - the mixture will be quite dense and relatively dry, rather than a batter. Don't worry! The rhubarb will release moisture as it bakes.
- Spoon the mixture into lightly greased muffin tins (12 standard or 6 jumbo muffin cups).
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden - test by checking if a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to fool for 5 minutes, then run a palette knife round the rip of each muffin cup and remove from the tin.
Recipe by Cooksister | Food, Travel, Photography at http://www.cooksister.com/2013/07/rhubarb-pear-muffins.html