Saturday Snapshots #76

by Jeanne on February 6, 2010

in Photography, Saturday Snapshots, Travel - France

Chamonix

Into the great white open – Chamonix 2008

Another Alpine photo, seeing as I am full of the joys of skiing right now :)

At the summit of the Aiguille du Midi above Chamonix in the French Alps, there is a door that leads out onto the ridge down which climbers and skiers must walk to begin their climb up to Mont Blanc or their ski down to the Vallee Blanche.  As you can see, beyond this door is a good few metres of solid ice (even in the middle of summer) through which a tunnel has been carved to allow the climbers access to the ridge.  Standing there shivering in my fleece watching them put on their crampons and roping up, their bright clothing reflecting off the ice walls, is one of the more surreal experiences I have ever had in mid-summer.

This is part of a series of non-food photographs that will be published every Saturday on CookSister. Click here for a full list of photographs previously featured.  All photos featured in Saturday Snapshots are available to buy as greeting cards or prints in my RedBubble store, including the new Year of Saturday Snapshots calendar, an A3-size calendar bringing together the most popular images from the first year of Saturday Snapshots.  Feel free to browse - it makes a great gift!

natalian February 7, 2010 at 6:43 am

I love the composition in this shot as well as the contrast between dark and light and the texture of the ice.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake February 7, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Beautifully composed shot. One of my favourites you’ve done lately, will it appear on between hemispheres too?
By the way I keep driving past billboards with your cupcakes for Lurpak but cannot take picture until I see one on foot! Have seen two around Walthamstow and also twitpicked a chicken pie to Helen!

barbara February 8, 2010 at 4:26 am

Jeanne this is a spectacular photo. I love it. I hope you had a fun trip.

Paz February 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Wow! Very impressive. I admire everyone going out into the open and cold. Me? I prefer being in front of a warm fireplace and some hot chocolate. ;-)
Paz

Alessio Fangano February 9, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Looking at this nice picture I’m shivering too and not only for the cold brrr :S

elra February 9, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I am so jealous, I can not ski although I love snow. My son always hope that both of us like winter sport, so that we can go with him everywhere. Love the photo Jeanne. I always seem to like vibrant color!