If it’s nearly Christmas, then it must be time for Menu for Hope.
The Menu for Hope event is the brainchild of Pim and takes place once a year around Christmas. For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, the campaign involves food bloggers (and others) from around the world each donating something to be raffled off on-line for charity. This can be as simple as a cookbook or as elaborate as a foodie tour of a world-class city. And at the end of the raffle, winners are chosen at random using a software application, after which the regional hosts will tell people the good news of what they have won.
This fantastic event raised just over $60,000 last year and, like last year, all the money raised will be going to the UN World Food Programme (WFP). This year’s campaign is going to support a new initiative at the WFP called Purchase for Progress (P4P). P4P enables smallholder and low-income farmers to supply food to WFP’s global operation. P4P helps farmers improves farming practices and puts more cash directly into their pockets in return for their crops. This will also help buoy local economy by creating jobs and income locally – so your donation will help both to assist these farmers and feed the hungry.
The item that I have donated is the BloggerAid Cook Book, 130 tried and tested recipes from bloggers around the world, with both metric and imperial conversions. Inside, expect to find breakfast enchiladas; pomegranate tabbouleh salad; tomato & cheese ravioli with aubergine sauce; Serrano ham paella with oyster mushrooms; shrimp biryani curry; lentil bugers; my very own sage and sun-dried tomato chicken breasts; triple-layer orange-passion fruit tart; cardamom ice-cream; and gorgeous full-colour photographs of many of the recipes. The book retails for $30, so the chance of winning it for a mere $10 is a pretty good deal! Remember – the code for this bid item is EU04 – you will need this to bid for it.
So how can you get your hands on this or the other amazing bid items?
1. Choose a bid item or items of your choice from our Menu for Hope main bid item list.
2. Go to the donation site at Firstgiving and make a donation any time up to 25 December.
3. Please specify which bid item you’d like in the ‘Personal Message’ section in the donation form when confirming your donation. You must write-in how many tickets per bid item, and please use the bid item code.
Each $10 you donate will give you one raffle ticket toward a bid item of your choice. For example, a donation of $50 can be 2 tickets for EU01 and 3 tickets for EU02 – 2xEU01, 3xEU02.
4. If your company matches your charity donation, please check the box and fill in the information so we could claim the corporate match.
5. Please check the box to allow us to see your email address so that we can contact you in case you win. Your email address will not be shared with anyone.
And then you just wait for January 18 when you will need to check back at Pim’s site to see the full list of winners.