Saturday Snapshots #27

by Jeanne on February 28, 2009

in Photography, Saturday Snapshots

Icicle2009Web

Here today gone tomorrow – London, February 2008

After the heaviest snowfall in London in decades, I ventured out the next morning to find a picture-perfect world covered in smow and icicles.  This one in particular caught my eye for its intricate, delicate laciness – and the transience of its beauty.

The name of the photo is particularly apt this week as that's exactly what I will be – gone tomorrow for a week's skiing in the French Alps.  Woo hoo!!  In a chalet with a hot tub!  Double woo hoo!!  With no internet access. Eeek!  Normal service (and commenting on all your lovely blogs!) will resume when I return.

This is part of a series of non-food photographs that will be published every Saturday on CookSister. Click here for a full list of photographs previously featured.  If you like this or any other photo featured in Saturday Snapshots, why not buy it as a greeting card or print in my RedBubble store?

Kit February 28, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Have a lovely time!
Lovely icicle – hard to imagine from here…

NAOmni February 28, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I always love the snapshot!
NAOmni

ilva March 1, 2009 at 7:44 am

Oh this made travel back in time to when I lived in Sweden and springtime there! The wonderful feeling of reawakening and joy when spring finally arrived!

Jan March 1, 2009 at 7:45 am

I love your Saturday snapshots! That is an amazing photo.

Natalian March 1, 2009 at 3:36 pm

After the extreamly hot temps we have had this week here in Durbs that looks refreshing!

courtney March 1, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Have a sage anf fun trip. Cant wait to see you write about it.

african vanielje March 2, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Jeanne, hope you are enjoying it. Your icicle looks like Africa. Boiling in the heat here, but will be home (my other home) in the big chill soon.

Robyn Vickers March 3, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Hello dear Jeanne,
Wow, I’m almost jealous despite the fact that London’s record snow fall probably still doesn’t compare to what we get over the winter here in good old Toronto. I spent time living in both Bristol and London many moons ago and would have punched a granny to get that much snow. It never once snowed in the time I was in Londontown at all. It must be magical! Turning a city usually so hard and bleak in winter into a soft and happy wonderland for a bit. I bet people were smiling at each other on the streets a bit, non? How unLondon it must have been. Wish I could have seen it. Enjoy! Hope your skiing is marvelous.

Rosemary Gough March 4, 2009 at 8:27 am

After the hottest weekend in history, seeing that ice is cooling me down!

Takeaways March 7, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Hope you’ve had a wonderful time. We went a week earlier and the snow conditions were excellent in the French part of the Swiss alps. How was your holiday?