Happy 2009!

by Jeanne on January 1, 2009

in Table scraps

JeanneBeachWeb

Happy New Year!  May 2009 bring you health, happiness and success in all you endeavour to do.

I hope you all had a good time last night, however you chose to celebrate (or contemplate!).  We are away for a couple of days and spent the evening with friends -between the four of us we threw together a pretty fantastic dinner:  a duo of smoked salmon (chowder and pate); roast duck with sauteed Brussels sprouts; and a chocolate raspberry tart.  Of course, this was all washed down with the obligatory amount of Champagne ;-)  How about you – how did you celebrate?

And today, as is the habit of all good South Africans on new year's day, I went to the beach.  A prize to the first person who can correctly guess from the picture where I am….

courtney January 1, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Happy New Year to you and Nich. I was so happy to meet you this year.I have no idea of the the beaches of the UK. Brighton seems to busy for this . Cornwall or Dover?

Angela January 1, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Happy New Year, Jeanne!
Alas, I rang in the new year with an agonising ear infection that sent me scurrying to the emergency GP early this morning. Still, the year can only get better, right?
And I’m going to guess at Dover. Although there are no white cliffs. Hmm. Definitely not pebbly enough to be Brighton, though. Oh, I give up! I am by no means an expert on English beaches :)

Charlotte January 1, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Happy Happy to you too! Your New Year’s menu sounds lovely – we had chilli con carne and chocolate brownies. Retro, non? I’m afraid I cannot guess the beach … but look forward to hearing which one it is.
Hope 2009 is the year I finally get to meet you, Jeanne, either on English shores or German ones!

elra January 1, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Happy new year to you and your love one Jeanne! I wish you and your love one always in a good health, lot’s of luck and all beautiful things come in year 2009.
Best wishes,
Elra

Michelle January 1, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Jersey! :-P
Happy New Year to you too! We should meet up again and celebrate in style. ;-)

Andrew January 1, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Havent a clue – Wales? Looks too bloody cold to be lounging about mind.
Happy New Year to you. See you soon…

Bellini Valli January 1, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Just for fun I am goint to guess that the beach getaway is in Devon? They have reddish beaches there at Dawlish and Sidmouth. Or maybe the Isle of Wight, or hows about Jersey?Clovelly perhaps it has rocky beaches? It was fun guessing but I wanted to say that I have so enjoyed visiting your blog over the past year. I’ll see you in 2009!!!

RobertHQ January 1, 2009 at 8:50 pm

×èòàëè âñåì îôèñîì! ðåñïåêò!

Claudia January 1, 2009 at 9:03 pm

No idea where you are but you look pretty happy and satisfied.
Happy new year and all the best to you too!
C.

Astrid January 2, 2009 at 12:14 am

Happy New Year Jeanne and all the Best for 2009!

Johanna January 2, 2009 at 3:12 am

Happy new year Jeanne – have enjoyed your posts over the past year and will look forward to many more next year (although I hope there is not repeat of the boiler saga for your sake!) We had vegetarian haggis as we have had for the past few new years in memory of haggis – strange how being expat brings out the nationalist in us (that’s my scottish partner not me) – glad you are well rugged up on the beach!

Kalyn January 2, 2009 at 3:38 am

I have no idea where you are, but I love the photo!
Happy New Year!

Peter January 2, 2009 at 4:33 am

Aww c’mon, it must have been warm enough to appear in a swimsuit, no? lol
Have a HAppy New Year and I look forward to your many delicious dishes.

Pille January 2, 2009 at 9:53 am

Happy New Year to you and Nick!!
And all I can say is that you’re not on a South African beach :)

Helen January 2, 2009 at 10:36 am

Happy new year Jeanne! I have no idea where you are in the picture – looks like a typical English beach though..your NY eve feats sounds fantastic! mmm, raspberries and chocolate!

Ivy January 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Happy New Year to you and your family. I am going to guess as well. I’d say it’s in South African, maybe Cape Town.

Maria January 2, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I think you’re in Dorset somewhere. Chesil/Kimmeridge area? Possibly?? Anyway, it looks lovely and you don’t look VERY cold!

Douglas January 2, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Skegness. Is there a beach in Skegness? And what is the prize on offer?

Julia January 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Happy new year Jeanne!

Jeanne Horak January 3, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Courtney – and the same to you and CS! Hope Germany was/is fabulous :) Thought of you at the Hyde Park German market last week :)
Angela – an ear infection? How ghastly! Hope you are all recovered now…
Charlotte – retro is in. And yeeeeeah, let’s make this the year we finally meet in person!
Johanna – funny you should mention the boiler… 2 days without heat and counting. There are no words…
Ivy – faaaaar to cold for South Africa :)
Douglas – I’m hurt that you think I’d spend New Year in Skegness…! And I can’t tell you what the prize is without giving the game away as it’s a local product to the place we visited. I can tell you that it’s sweet though (and it’s NOT rock!)
To all of you who wished my a happy new year – may blessings rain down on you and your families in 2009. It’s been fabulous meeting you through your blogs and comments and I hope to meet some more of you over the next 12 months.
To all of you who guessed the place – there are some good guesses in there :) Will announce the results on Sunday 4 Jan so still some time left to guess and win some local produce from the mystery area!

Jeanne Horak January 3, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Angela – an ear infection? How ghastly! Hope you are all recovered now…
Ivy – faaaaar to cold for South Africa :)

Jeanne Horak January 3, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Angela – an ear infection? How ghastly! Hope you are all recovered now…
Ivy – faaaaar to cold for South Africa :)

Kate Zeller January 10, 2009 at 4:35 pm

And a very (belated) Happy New Year to you!!!!